Thursday, March 14, 2013

We made it to Haiti


I soon realized that Haiti is full of contradictions.
It is fast and it is slow…it is dirty and it is beautiful…it is wary and it is loving…
and it is everything I thought it would be and it is nothing that I thought it would be.

Our first day was a whirlwind.  We got to the Villa, got out of travel clothes and reloaded the suitcases with all of the stuff for the orphanage and school.  We went to the orphanage and dropped off clothes and shoes for them and then got back into the truck to go visit the Nursing School that Pastor Widelson runs.  Then it was back to the orphanage to pick up some stuff we left there by accident.  While we were gone they discovered the treat we had packed for them…M&Ms are a BIG HIT for these Haitian children that don’t get much opportunity to enjoy chocolate.  And then it was off to the Villa again.  We spent hours talking.  We heard stories of Pastor Widelson’s childhood and how he got to where he is now.  I thought he was amazing before, but he is truly a man touched by God.  I look forward to sharing his stories with our St Paul’s church family.
They left at dinner time so I could enjoy Haitian rice & beans at the Villa.  I think they also left so I could rest my voice and get ready for another day to overwhelm my senses.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog...whether the miracle bus is delivered to the orphanage or not while you are there, it sounds like the experiences & exchanges you are having with the Haitian people make your journey so special & worthwhile. May you continue to make a difference in their world & they in yours. Love & prayers being sent to you & to Pastor W. & everyone involved.
    Mom/Shirley

    ReplyDelete