Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Getting philosophical about Airplanes and Life

I am an American.  There is no denying it.  

While I was sitting in the airplane on the first leg of our journey to Haiti, 
I had a lot of thoughts going thru my head...

  • It is too early for this.  
  • Our 3 checked-in bags and 4 carry-ons are heavy.  
  • The plane is crowded.
  • I am too close to the people next to me (and one of them is my husband :)  
  • Everyone is loud - why is that man snoring?!
  •  Why do those kids have to cry, scream and talk so loud?  
  • I am sick of being bothered by the flight attendant if I need anything.  
  • I am not going to use that small cramped bathroom no matter what. 
  •  It is cold and the air is stale and did that man just cough his nasty germs all over me?


Yup...all that is going thru my head. 

And then God decides it is time to remind me of a few things...

  • Most Haitians will never have the opportunity  to get on a plane and travel for the fun of it. 
  • Most Haitians can fit everything they own in less luggage than I am bringing (and my luggage is mainly just the stuff I am donating).  
  • Haiti is ALWAYS crowded, EVERYONE is close together and it is LOUD ALL the TIME!  
  • Most homes (tents,shacks, streets...) don't have a bathroom at all much less one that is sanitized everyday.
  • I can get off this airplane and smell fresh air and space - not so much in Haiti where it is anything but cold  and stale air will smell better than what they have any day. (and there are a whole lot more seriously things being passed around than a basic cold)  
  • I don't think any Haitian would be complaining about being offered a beverage.  


So I quietly and peacefully enjoyed the rest of the flight.  We will see if I can keep that same calm on the flight to Haiti tomorrow.  

I have so much to learn from our Haitian friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment