Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 6: Things that happen in church


We just returned from a 13 hour day. Honestly it will me a while for me to fully process today's events. I apologize for the short and sweet version.

Church:
The church service was incredibly moving. Pastor introduced us and explained our mission and importance. Tears welled up in my eyes as the impact of our work hit me. So many connections and relationships flashed through my mind. My heart is heavy. (I actually started writing down my thoughts right away in church- and I have five pages... but that was 11 hours ago and I'll need to sort through those later. Sorry. They seemed pretty profound at the time, too. :)

Side note: the Haitians are beautiful people. They also dress to the nines for church. Crisp white shirts, ties, black dress pants and shoes. The ladies were beautiful dresses and cute shoes. The little girls wear frilly dresses... like our Easter dresses, flower girl and bridesmaid dresses. And we Americans are wearing keen man-dals here, with our dresses. :(

The Feast:
Mrs. Marcellus prepared a feast for Team Haiti 2014 back at the orphanage. We sat in her coral colored dining room at a formally set table. She came in to wish us a good meal and then Pastor started serving us. The table was initially set with bbq chicken, grilled chicken, fried plantains, homemade french fries, carrots and broccoli, lettuce salad, and fried baby potatoes. They gave us ice and coke in a glass bottle. Yum. We happily loaded our plates and ate this delicious feast. Then Pastor came out with Mami's homemade pizza for us. Then he came out it with her homemade lasagna. Then he came out with rice and beans. Her food was beyond delicious and knowing the love and care she puts into it makes it even more special.

The Orphanage:
We got to spend a little time with the kids before heading back to the concert. (They ate rice and beans while we at the massive feast.) Rob took his annual photos of each child while we handed out beanie babies. They LOVED them. Then we played with the kids. I was swarmed by my girls again and they wanted to take photos AGAIN. So I did my best to further our culture and showed them how to take selfies, duck face and crazy faces included. You are welcome, world.

Side note: Technology and photography was the third part of our mission trip. Kids love taking photos and immediately flipping it around to show you the image. They also love looking through your stored photos and videos. They all know my dogs' (chen) names by heart :)

The Drive to the Concert:  Pastors should stick to teaching, not driving buses.
Claude, the amazing bus driver, took the red truck to pick up Evens, his students, and the amplification system. That left Pastor to drive the bus to church. The turn out of their driveway is 90 degrees, and quite a challenge, even for Claude. Well, Pastor took the tail light of a parked car. But then it was okay. I had two girls on each side of me, looking through photos, and then just holding my hands or hugging me. It was beyond nice. (The UN troops were actually out on the street stopping cars- is there something going on?)

The last steep hill before you get to church has a ravine on one side, so we were all holding hands and praying. When we finally made it the top the bus erupted in applause.

The Concert:
The church was decorated with red flowers, ribbons, fans and bows. It was beautiful. Everyone was dressed up and hugging us or shaking our hands. All of this was comforting and fun, but then the realization that this is the last time I may seem these people. (For at least a year... Jake.) sank in. It was bittersweet.

Ernst and Enelsen were charming emcees for the festivities. The band, featuring Sarah and Sharon, performed three songs. Then the choir, led by Kissnee, sang a beautiful song and Ludi sang a solo. Then the emcees made their special surprise. They played Happy Birthday to Pastor and honored him and Mrs. Marcellus for their 29th wedding anniversary. Then they brought up a guest singer. She sang a song with such showmanship and zeal that she brought the house down. I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for me to dance, but when the stoic Mrs. Marcellus started dancing, I jumped right in. It was fantastic!

The band came back with a spirited rendition of In the Mood and then the show was over. Hugs and handshakes were everywhere. I personally had a heavy heart and felt a bit withdrawn. We snapped a few photos, but it was kind of a madhouse as we cleaned up, said good-byes and got on the bus. Some of our friends didn't ride back with us, which made it all the more sad.

( have I said how striking the young ladies are yet? )

Haiti After Dark:
Well, much to our dismay, Pastor took the wheel again. The sharp turn to get down that steep hill had us all praying and holding hands again. We were scared! But then the rest of the drive went pretty well. The streets are still crowded even though there are no street lights.

Monday: Our last day
Tomorrow we are going to make a stop at ISSPAM the nursing school, a potential meeting with Pastor, and then a drive to the top at the mountain for the scenic view of the island. We'll have to take a truck and hopefully Claude is driving.


Quotes of the Day:

Sharon: This is the song that never ends.
Adam:  I am really attached to Claude. I want Claude back.
Lori: There is not an oil for THAT.
Sharon: "Pool party! Bring your snacks and malaria pills.!"
Lacy: I want to go to HER concert. Dance party! Love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment