Monday, June 16, 2014

Nice to meet you! I'm Lacy.


Hi, I’m Lacy and I will be blogging about the upcoming trip to Haiti this July. This will be my first trip to Haiti, but I’m not new to Pastor Widelson and the family in Carrefour.


Who am I?


I teach social studies at Buffalo High School and I grew up in St. Michael. Several friends went to St. Paul’s Church and I have great memories of vacation bible school and attending services there. My husband Jake is a cousin of Heather Irwin and we are very close to the Irwin Family. Like I said, I am married but we have not been blessed with children (yet.) Besides my regular day job, I am the director of the non-profit organization, Save-a-Bull Rescue. I love to travel and learn about new places and cultures. My goal in life is to make the world a better place through education and service.

Experiences with Haiti


My husband, Jake, traveled to Haiti with Rob back in November of 2011 to deliver laptops and teach technology skills. He is a programmer analyst with Coughlan Companies, a children’s book publishing company. Jake enjoyed his trip, especially hanging out with the kids. My favorite story from his trip was when he gave the kids his camera- and they took amazing shots. The best part of his visit, is that the technology education continues on as the students are teaching other students those skills.



Having heard and seen so much about Haiti over the past few years from the Irwins and Jake, I am both excited and scared for this trip. Pastor Widelson visited my classroom at BHS last year and it will be a pleasure to see him again. My name in Haiti may end up being “Sister Jake,” but that’s okay.
In the weeks leading up to our visit, I will post my research and thoughts about our visit.

Please read previous posts by Heather and Rob Irwin to learn the history of Hanover to Haiti. It is pretty amazing what can happen when you put things into God's Hands.


The Magic School Bus to Haiti



Here are some articles I will be reading this week:






No comments:

Post a Comment